Sunday, September 4, 2016

Swamp Witches and Mushroom Faeries...


Earlier this year I received an unexpected invitation to display my art dolls with some of the moste talented art doll artists from around the world at the Petaluma Arts Center during the curated show Journeys Into Light & Dark: Dolls as Tellers of Stories. Of course, I was honored and overwhelmed and completely jumped at the opportunity!!! 

My life has changed so very, very much since we moved from New Orleans to Miami 2 years ago... and I wanted to present that through the 2 dolls I made for this show....


Under a Faerie Moon 


Detail of Under a Faerie Moon


The Swamp Witch


Detail of The Swamp Witch


Since moving from our tiny, decrepit apartment right in the middle of all that was happening in New Orleans to a sprawling, beige suburban house, I have left behind the magic and sense of community that is New Orleans.... but, I now have a sprawling faerie and butterfly garden and the studio and time to make art that I have dreamed of most of my life. 

My world has changed and it has affected my work. I have had to learn to bring magic INTO my life rather than just walk outside and immerse myself in it. Being alone so much of the time and being cut off from the world, I had started to look back at how I saw the world as a child. What dreams did i have? What did i see under the daffodils and the oak trees? Where did I go at night, when i closed my eyes? And what magic did the world around me still hold at 47 years old?! 

All of these thoughts and dreams have brought me back to magic (and to magick as well)... finding myself again. Finding my way back home. And all of these thoughts and dreams have found their way into my work.

There isn't much that I like about Miami -- but I am completely obsessed with the Banyan Trees that are so prevalent here -- and they were my inspiration for The Swamp Witch. Part Bayou and Part Everglades. The joining of my two worlds. 

Under a Faerie Moon was inspired by my own little faerie and butterfly garden,dreaming under the moonlight that even here in suburbia, faeries might find me.

So, that's a little bit about these pieces -- my two favorite dolls I have made this year. I'm not good with words. I'm much more of a visual thinker. But I hope you can understand where I'm coming from ...

And to have my little ladies displayed alongside the likes of such amazingly talented artists as Sheri DeBow, Lisa Renner, and Toby and Wendy Froud (I KNOW, RIGHT!!!??? YOWZA!!!) is an honor I am not sure I can put into words....

I hope everyone has a magical day,

xoxo,

Amber 

No comments: