Thursday, March 21, 2013

new ideas, new materials, new dolls, new direction....


oh, the things that have been going on in my head these last few weeks!!






it's funny to me, how my own mind works... i have told my mister time and time again, that if i spent half as much time thinking about my own art as i do fretting over what will happen next on THE WALKING DEAD, i'd be rich! haha!


but, lately, my little brain has been a flurry of artistic activity, and i think i've finally found a medium that will help me express those ideas a bit better: apoxie resin. specifically a product called magic sculpt.


i am still working out the kinks, learning how to mold it to my way of working. learning to work with it. but, i have to say, over all, i am very very happy.

i first learned about magic sculpt from the magnificent doubleparlour. then, i found out that my good friend, michele lynch also uses a resin for her dolls. it is a different brand, but works the same, and i have a batch on order, with the hopes that it might smooth out a bit easier, though to be honest, i think i'm figuring out the magic sculpt. everything just takes time. i remember how hard i thought working with paper clay was! ha! and now, i am so comfortable with it, that i can't imagine thinking it was hard work! ha! ha!

so, i've been working on several new lines of dolls...

my own version of the voodoo doll.
kind of cross between the traditional voodoo doll and day of the dead.

then there are my little devil girls ( i am calling them les enfants terrible) which i have become obsessed with making!! they are my ode to all the little girls out in the world who are bullied and ignored. i was one of those girls. no one would play with me. so i had to make up my own world and friends in order to survive grammar and high school.

i've also started making my own armatures, not just for the full bodied dolls, but also for the busts. i am much happier with the flow of the shoulders and they sit much better on the shelf....



i have to be honest and say that i see my work going in a completely different direction, and this is both exciting and scary. i'm not sure what the future holds for me, doll wise, but i am feeling the pull to experiment; to try out some new techniques; and to follow my heart, design wise.
i am becoming very very drawn to pop surrealism and to hand made, OOAK toys.
i know this is where i am headed and i am having the time of my life getting there!!

i hope everyone is having a fantastic week!!

until next time,

xoxo

♥amber♥

6 comments:

TheBlakkDuchess said...

I love those little devil girls! =D
Kudos for trying a new medium & not just sticking with what's familiar. I think you're just fabulous!

I can't wait to see all the fun/creepy/strange/gorgeous dolls you come up with.

And I love your journal page. ^-^

XOXO

Christianne Teixeira said...

Your new dolls are amazing!! Love them all! The black Devil Girl is amazing. xoxo

Amber Leilani Middleton said...

thank you my friend, annalee! and thank you christiann! i am having fun experimenting...

yoborobo said...

Hi Amber! First of all, you are so cute. Second of all, heck yeah on the new dolls - they are amazing! I might have to check out this magic sculpt of which you speak. :) I'm happy that your muse is in overdrive! Yay! xox

leigh hannan said...

hi amber,
i love the new direction you are going in! your eyeballs are looking great (i remember seeing somewhere that you felt you couldn't do them well). i especially love the last girl with the antlers....and her color palette is divine!
take care,
leigh

Amber Leilani Middleton said...

thank you all so much! i've been absent from here for a while, as i've been figuring out this new resin thing...i'll be back around very soon!!! you all rock!!!