Wednesday, January 25, 2012

a little tromp around my studio...

good evening, everybody!
i'm a little late getting this posted today...whew! what a day! and not necessarily in a good way.
i'm fighting through a mess o' nastiness that doesn't even bode mentioning here, but i did not fall into a depresso funk like i wanted to this afternoon. no ma'am. i came home from said unpleasantness and went right in to the studio. i was proud of myself. but i really wanted to just go get drunk.

i had a little visit from my friend, kalaya today as well. i always love it when she comes over to sit with me in my studio and talk artsyphartsy things. i don't have a lot of that in my life and any time i can talk to other crafters, is cherished joyous time!

so, today i wanted to take you all for a little tromp around my work space. it's no where near as perfect as i would like, but it is functional and i guess that's what counts!

and away we go!!!.....

.....since i don't have a lot of room and i do have two cats, the dolls - finished and unfinished - all live bunched up on a shelf. the kittehs have been known to climb up there ( when we got back from ireland, there were dolls on the floor. it was the one time i was thankful for the ugly carpeting), but mostly the jumbled mess keeps them discouraged.....


here are a few of my favorite pieces. the stargazer is mine; i got the Gizmo at a store here in new orleans; and the Tooth Fairy doll is by Kerry Kate of OctoberEffigies. she was the first art doll i ever bought....


and here are some more of my favorite pieces: the Happy Halloween box is by Cheetah Cheetah on Etsy     ; my friend, kalaya gave me the paper mache skelly; the Marie Antoinette card is by my friend, Wendy; and the two plushies are by my friend, Jessica King of CuteandCreepy.


another piece i just picked up over the holidays by another friend, Michele Lynch, hung on our tree until just recently, and now it has moved into the studio. hopefully he'll keep patches from chewing on these mardi gras beads!.....


my pencils are being attached by a giant squid!! aiiiighhh....


here is a bigger view of the shelving unit with all the dolls crammed on it.  actually one of my more brilliant ideas were the containers for my styro balls. much nicer to look at than used boxes!.....


behold! my baahrilliant idear:.....


i {sometimes, unfortunately} share the space with my significant other, who is, being a male, a bit of a slob. so i'm not going to show you the view i have to look at every day. instead, here is the lovely view he has from his side of the table. enhanced, i am sure, by the sight of me, his beloved, making wonderful art....


an unfinished journal page....


the queen, high up on her perch...


and cash, being ever so helpful by sitting on my paintbrushes....


so, that's the tour for today.  i wish my space was more exciting, roomier, prettier, funkier, and more inspiring, but it is mine {sort of} and i do get work done most of the time!

are you happy with your work space? 

i hope everyone is having a great wednesday!

until next time,

♥amber♥

5 comments:

Kalaya Steede said...

Really dig the label on your container for Styrofoam balls. What's your secret? NICE pictures of your studio. I'm pretty happy with my space. My only wish is to be a little more organized but it's a process. XO

yoborobo said...

I love your space. It is so much more organized than the heap I work in - lol! I would love to be able to drop in and visit with you and see your lovely art in person. Thanks for the tour - and congrats on getting through the rough day. xox Pam

figueirinha said...

if i'm happy with my work space?
well, i prefer yours!
i prefer dools, colours, and crayons, than papers, books, theories... but i love what i'm doing right now, i'm a student.
i love your photos! thanks for sharing them. maybe one of this days i share mine (when it seems a little beat more organized...!?#$?).
i'm a blogger too. i shared your blogger here http://machineeye.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-dolls.html
hope you don't mind, it is in portuguese.
have a nice weekend :-)

LuLu said...

I love your wall color! I have my master bedroom all yellow, it's sunshine every morning. Looks like a fun studio to create in!

Amber Leilani Middleton said...

thanks everybody!

kalaya...i got them at pier one, but you can make your own with chalkboard paint...which i will do next time!

lulu... i like the color less now than i did when we moved in. i was so sick of renter's beige and our friend (and landlord) had painted all the rooms this lovely "sahara" color. but all my pictures come out golden. but, i guess it's better than renter's beige!!

pam, i wish you could drop in too! we'd have fun making skelly's and fridas!!!

figueirinha...thank you so much!!