Thursday, May 6, 2010

a big ole mess of paint, pen, pencil, and clay...



well, i didn't get much painting in last night, and i surely didn't do enough to warrant taking a picture of the twins.
i am sooooo easily distracted. and out of practice. after 2 beers i came home and took a nap. so sad.


but, i did get a little work done. mostly, i feel like all i do is make a mess...

these guys didn't get their eyeballs. maybe tonight.... who knows!?

this fella here, turned out far better than even i had hoped. disregard the crappy head wrap. that was an experiment gone horribly awry. the wrap didn't work nor did the paint. but, the face turned out pretty much as i had hoped it would. i used white paint instead of flesh, because i want my pieces to look old and creepy. i painted the lips and used graphite, charcoal, colored pencils, and felt tip pen on the eye. i almost got the look i was going for. now i have a feeling for how those mediums work on the paper clay, so i can refine my style. i just don't hold a brush steady enough to paint the eyes on. much more comfortable with a pencil and pen in hand. weird, but true.

after all the painting and coloring was done, i applied a crackle medium and rubbed black paint into it.
i was very happy with it. much better with the black on white than the brown on flesh tone i had originally envisioned.
i can't wait to finish painting the sisters and crackle them. that's my favorite part.
i don't think i have enough time this morning to do much, but i'm gonna try...
see ya later!
amber


3 comments:

Cheryl Valadez said...

Oooohhh!! This is fantastic! Can't wait to see the others when they're finished! I love the way the eye turned out and the crackle is very cool. I even like the wrap, it really emphasis the eye. Wow!

Trishia said...

Amber, glad you came out of the studio to blog a bit and share. I'm not usually into 'creepy' but I love your creepy! To see those white blobs come alive with character is most amazing. I have no desire to sculpt myself, but it's like Grandma's quilts -- you don't have to be a quilter to love the art, appreciate it, drool, wanna touch it and be touched by it. As I may have told you before, I lived in Texas for 30+ years. Not as at peace with the South as you are, but when you say 'tard,' I hear ya'!:)

Pattee said...

I love this head!