Monday, May 11, 2009

a fanciful twist



many of you may (or may not) know that in my mid 20's i spent two years living in tucson, arizona. fresh out of college and with nothing remotely on my plate, i left the state (georgia) i had lived in my whole life and moved to a city where i only knew one person.

it was amazing.

when i left arizona and moved back to the south, i literally cried every day for over 6 months, knowing i had made a terrible mistake in moving back, and also knowing my father would kill me if i turned around and moved back out west after he had helped drive me back "home" across 6 states.

so, i never moved back to tucson, although i greatly wanted to. and for lack of anything better to do, i moved to new orleans and have been here for 12 years.

a few months ago i was poking around on flickr, looking for photos of tucson and i thought it would fun to see if there were any of tolteca tlacuilo, the import store where i worked while living in tucson.


((eddie gallego's shop, tolteca tlacuilo located in old town artisans in tucson, arizona))

what i found was much more that just a few pics of eddie's shop.
i found a blog so full of creativity, positivity, and inspiration, that i just had to share it with you today.

i am talking about A FANCIFUL TWIST, the gorgeous and upbeat blog by vanessa valencia, who is one of the most amazingly talented and creative artists i have ever come across.


miniature tea set


the curious playroom - land of enchantment

vanessa posts not only about her whimsical, beautiful,and vibrant work - there is nothing she can't make gorgeous,i promise you - but she also shares snippets of her world on the lush acreage she lives and works on in arizona.


the gypsy garden


a fanciful studio

i try to read at least a post a day from A FANCIFUL TWIST. there is just something about the way vanessa approaches life that is completely infectious. she seems to grasp every opportunity to make every second impassioned, carefree, joyful, creative, fun,and loved.

i hope that you will all take the time to go check out her blog and her etsy store. i am totally saving up my pennies for one of her pieces, which she adds to the shop very regularly. she usually sells out of her dolls as soon as they are listed, so you have to act faster than i have been able to!

i may never move back to tucson ( the better half just doesn't like the desert) but i can make every day i live - wherever that is - the best and most bountiful day that it can be.

7 comments:

shiborigirl said...

Hi, I wandered over here from A Fanciful Twist, as Vanessa mentioned your post. I've been a regular visitor over there for about a year, and there is ALWAYS something cool peeking around the corner.

I'm so glad you found her... and I'm looking forward to peeking around your blog while I'm here.

Stop in for a visit sometime,

Kate

Anonymous said...

Hear hear! Vanessa makes everybody's life a better place. She's a fanciful angel, reminding us to sparkle and twinkle and live every millisecond to the nth degree! I read ALL of her posts in a single weekend, and she has been a part of my daily ritual ever since. Oh and PS-her artwork and weeling creatures are even more incredible "alive" in your own home! Keep saving your pennies-its worth it!! Rhonda (aka Roo)

paris parfait said...

Isn't Vanessa the BEST??!! I adore her and am lucky to have several of her art pieces adorning my Paris apartment. And Tucson is fabulous, too. I haven't been in ages, but it made a memorable impression and I'm definitely going back!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your post! I spend time at a Fanciful Twist every day! I always feel lighter and brighter, don't you?

Emily Anne Leyland ( Art-n-Sewl) said...

Isn't she the coolest??? :)

Contessa Kris said...

You summed her up correctly. Waking up to a new post from A Fanciful Twist always puts a smile on my face and a tweak in my heart for the life she lives. May we all try to live as free, no matter where we reside.

A Fanciful Twist said...

I have not been able to conjure up the correct words to thank you for this beautiful post. I feel like you get me ;)

You chose photos that make me smile, but that not everyone sees for how happy they are...

You are delightful, I am glad Mister Eddie helped you find me, so I could find you back. You are a real smile in the blogosphere, and dear to me! xoxo