Wednesday, November 12, 2008

experiments in bead embroidery









my first attempt at bead embroidery. i have been enjoying this more than anything i have made in a long long time! i realize i have a long way to go, but you gotta start somewhere.

the flower basket cabachon is vintage from the 1930's. i have had it for nearly 8 years - just liked it and bought it not knowing what i would do with it. i am going to make it into a pendant por moi.

the purple piece is a vintage sew on - i don't know how old - which i just purchased from a seller on etsy. it is gynormous and those are size 8 rounds i beaded around it with. mainly just figuring out stitches and patterns and improvising on this one. will be a cuff for me when it is done.

6 comments:

Christina J. said...

They are looking great! One of these days I am going to try bead embroidery. I really like the flower basket cabachon. Show us how they both turn out when they're finished!

Lidia said...

Wonderful!!!! I love the vintage floral cab too and it's going to turn out lovely - I can already tell. Have fun learning and playing!

Christina J. said...

Hi Amber,

My favorite bead stores in New York were Shoji Toho and Metalliferous. I started at Shoji Toho, which is on 6th between 36th and 37th and then walked along 6th to get to Metalliferous, which is on 46th. There are a bunch of bead shops along the way. It was a lot of fun. I hope if you go to NY in January you get a chance to visit them!

SarahKelley said...

I really like the purple! Show us more:)

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Oh, I love it. That is your first? That is great.

MyFairLadyVT4 said...

Wow, Great job. I want to try this someday.