Tuesday, July 15, 2008

redirecting my energies

i was reading this post a few days ago and it got me to thinking about how i have been approaching my business as well as what i need to do to make it better and more profitable.

as i mentioned a few posts down, i recently changed my pricing on etsy and here at gallery i/o to reflect the prices on my pieces carried by the gallery high gloss in houston ( who is moving my work on a very regular basis).

i have also been doing a lot of thinking on where i fit into the etsy world and what other outlets i might look into. i have been especially disappointed in how my work has done on etsy. but i can't blame anyone.
there is no one to blame. my work is what it is.
i do not know if it is my photography or my pricing that is keeping the buyers at bay, but i have a sneaking suspiscion it's the latter. but, i refuse to lower my prices to fit into a certain market. i know what i need to get out of a piece and i am not going to lower that number for anyone or anything. i don't think my work is overpriced - but i think it's high for etsy.

over the last 10 years ( when i have been sporadically making and marketing my work) i have tried several different venues - all with different results. i am a firm believer in if you don't try something, you will never learn. what i have learned is that my work sells best in a gallery environment. i am not putting down etsy nor anyone who sells there, because i love etsy and i buy from other artists there fairly regularly. but, i am slowly coming to the realization that it may not be for me. i have spent waaaaaaay too much time obsessing over why i am not selling there and not enough time on actually making, photographing, and marketing the work. i think it's time i turned my attention to those things. i am looking into other venues that i think (hope) might work better. i am not giving up on etsy. i have just simply decided to take a look at other outlets which might work better.

i have been experimenting a bit more of late with my designs. however, i don't want to experiment too much, when i should be directing my energies into producing the work that is selling. but, i need to grow as an artist and i don't want to be a one hit wonder.

i have a trip coming up to san francisco, and i am working on items to take with me in the hopes of finding a venue in the bay area. i may not get one, but i have to at least try. if anyone has any suggestions on galleries or boutiques that i might try, feel free to leave a little note. i am pretty much flying blind here folks!

so, i guess that is where i stand right now. it's been a week of good food, good friends, good wine, and waaaaay too much good fun. it gave me some time to think about what i am doing and where i want to go.

now i just have to get there....

1 comment:

Christina J. said...

Your pieces are really wonderful and I agree that they are priced fairly. I think some of the seed bead artists on Etsy are selling their work for less than they should. The amount of time and energy that goes into seed bead work should be reflected in the price.