Friday, January 11, 2008

Thinking Out Loud

I have been thinking quite a bit lately about giving up making jewelry.

I do this a lot, to be honest. I flip. I flop. Then I get back on my horse.
Don't know if I want to get back on at this point.

I have been thinking a lot about what happened to me in November when Fairy decided not to sell my work anymore: The reason she dropped me was that I had picked up a second boutique in our fair(y) city and she viewed that as competition. Now, I realize that New Orleans isn't exactly a booming metropolis, but to be fair, the new boutique is in a separate zip code. Most jewelers work that way. Figured I could too.
Guess we know how that ended up.

Anyway... called Tomato ( the other boutique) last week to see how things had gone over the holidays and Nina told me that only a few pieces sold.
Distressing.

Now, my Better Half is always much more optimistic than I am and he quickly reminded me that I had done very well at The Shop. Touche. I did ok. Not as well as I wanted, but I did ok. Considering the amount of jewelry we carry I did very well.

But, I put so much effort into making these things and then to have them not sell. It's just frustrating, to say the least.

I really don't know what I want to do.

If I didn't make jewelry I would not feel that I HAD to make jewelry. I think part of the problem is I put too much emphasis on selling and not so much on making. I can think of at least one person I know who has the same problem and I constantly complain about it and wonder what's wrong with them. But, to make a living, one does need to sell.

I miss the creativity I had 10 years ago when I was just learning to bead and I experimented all the time. I want to get back to that point, if I decide to keep going.

And if I do decide to keep going, I really have to put more into it than I have been. More time and effort. Get more gigs, so to speak.

On the other hand, I have really been into taking pictures lately and I really want to start a scrapbook. I would have more time for even more creative pursuits. But, one of my goals for this year is to be more creative in everything I do. Why can't I go back to the creativity I had when I first started making jewelry? Get in touch with my inner bead-child. I dunno.

Guess I'll mull it over some more and see where the day takes me...

No comments: